Last Updated: September 21, 2018
"Personal Information" is any information that enables us to identify you, directly or indirectly, such as your email address, name, shipping and billing address, telephone number, company name, credit card information, any form of identification number or one or more factors specific to your physical, physiological, mental, economic, cultural or social identity.
Information collected and how it is used
We automatically collect information when you visit the Sites including your device's IP address, and basic statistics about how you use the Sites.
We collect Personal Information that you submit when visiting the Sites including registration information (your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, etc.), contact information if you sign up for our newsletter or contact us with an inquiry (email address, telephone number), payment card information if you make a donation or purchase (name, billing and shipping address, card information, email and telephone number), or other information as needed to provide particular programs or services (e.g., insurance applications, applications for fiscal sponsorship, venue data for one of our space directories, etc.). All registered account holders are required to create a user password that, combined with your login email address, allows access to your account. This Personal Information is used to identify you as a registered user.
We store your Personal Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically and reasonably feasible to remove it.
We use the collected Personal Information for our legitimate business and operational interests and to improve our programs and services in support of our charitable mission, for example:
- To respond to your requests or inquiries,
- To process transactions you have requested,
- To manage or facilitate the operation and security of the Sites,
- To enhance your experience with Fractured Atlas,
- To communicate with you about your account, applications, transactions, or registration and about our services, events and other opportunities related to Fractured Atlas or our mission,
- To identify you or to authenticate your identity,
- To monitor and improve the use and satisfaction of Site users,
- To display advertisements relevant to your interests,
- To conduct research and analysis, and
- To expand our services and outreach.
We may collect information about how you connect (such as browser type and version, operating system, IP address, device type, time zone setting and Internet domain), the pages you viewed or searched for, page times, download errors, duration of page visit, page interaction information and any phone number used to call our customer service number, and location information (with your permission). We do not treat this information as Personal Information, except where the information can identify you when associated with other Personal Information we hold or where we are required to do so under applicable law.
Access from Outside the United States
The types of cookies we may use on our Website include:
We do not currently use technology that recognizes a "do-not-track" signal from your web browser.
How we handle sensitive information
Making a donation or purchase through the Sites requires that you provide credit card information. Certain other services, such as applying for insurance, require that you provide social security or employer identification numbers. These are examples of "sensitive information" that must be treated with extra caution.
Our policy is not to store sensitive information except when it is necessary to do so. For example, we do not store full credit card numbers after transmitting them to our payment processing vendor.
When it is necessary to store sensitive information, such as the tax ID number associated with a fiscally sponsored project, we generally store it an encrypted format. This ensures that, in the highly unlikely event that our database were breached, the attacker would have a very hard time accessing the information in a useful format.
When sensitive information must be transmitted over the internet, such as when we send a credit card number to our payment processing vendor, it is transmitted over encrypted channels, making it much more difficult for an attacker to intercept and steal.
The Sites are neither designed nor intended to be attractive for use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13. If you are under 13 please do not submit any information to us.
Accessing your information and your choices
- Transactional emails are specific to you and your relationship with Fractured Atlas. They include things like purchase receipts, program notifications, and dues rebilling reminders.
- Bulk emails are sent to many individuals at the same time. They include things like our Announcements list, the CultureFlash newsletter, and other periodic newsletters.
You can choose not to receive bulk emails from us by "unsubscribing" using the instructions in any such email you receive from us. However, we need to send transactional emails in order to provide our programs and services, so you can't unsubscribe from those.
You can choose to delete or block cookies by setting your browser to either reject all cookies or to allow cookies only from selected sites. If you block cookies, however, you won't be able to login to the Sites and certain other features may not function as well.
Sharing your information with third-parties
Your privacy is important to us. We will never share your personal information with advertisers or other third-parties, with certain limited exceptions:
- Some member services require that we share information with third-party service providers, such as insurance companies who underwrite the policies offered through our insurance program or third-party contractors and payment processors who perform services for us in connection with the Website, or to complete or confirm a transaction or series of transactions that you conduct with us. We may also disclose information to service providers or suppliers if the disclosure will enable that party to perform business, professional or technical support for us, including, for example, survey and contest administration, processing of application information, marketing partners, analytics services and research services who provide sufficient guarantees of security of your information; these providers are permitted to use the information in order to provide the services to us but are contractually not permitted to use the information for their own unrelated purposes. In such cases, we share only the minimum information required to provide the service in question, and only with the specific third-parties who need access to that information to assist in the provision of those services.
- From time-to-time we may release information (excluding personally identifiable or disaggregated donor information) to third-party researchers, provided the research is being conducted with charitable objectives related to strengthening the arts and cultural sector. In such cases we will not allow for the publication of disaggregated or personally identifiable information without first providing the affected parties with a reasonable opportunity to opt-out.
- In the event that Fractured Atlas goes through a business transition, such as a merger, being acquired by another company, or selling a portion of its assets, users' personal information will, in most instances, be part of the assets transferred.
- We may share aggregated or anonymous information that does not identify you with third parties. For example, we may disclose the number of visitors to the Website or the number of people who have downloaded a particular document.
Fractured Atlas does not sell, trade, or share our donors' personal information with any other organizations or vendors, nor do we send donor mailings on behalf of other organizations, without the donor's consent. As a rule, however, we do provide our fiscally sponsored artists with information on the donors who have contributed to support their specific projects. 99% of the time this is what such donors expect, but requests for anonymity from the supported artists will be honored.
Your California privacy rights
California residents are permitted by California law to request information about the manner in which we share certain categories of information with others for their marketing purposes. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request this disclosure. (Note that the state of California requires that we post this notice. We love Californians, but we will happily extend the same courtesy to anyone, whether or not the person is a resident of California!)
Your European Privacy Rights
For Individuals Within The EEA Only. Under the GDPR, in certain circumstances, you have the right to: (a) request access to any Personal Information we hold about you and related information, (b) obtain without undue delay the rectification of any inaccurate Personal Information, (c) request that your Personal Information is deleted provided the Personal Information is not required by Fractured Atlas for compliance with a legal obligation under European or Member State law or for the establishment, exercise or defense of a legal claim, (d) prevent or restrict processing of your Personal Information, except to the extent processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims; and (e) request transfer of your Personal Information directly to a third party where this is technically feasible.
The Sites contain links to other websites not owned or controlled by Fractured Atlas. Hopefully, it is obvious that we, Fractured Atlas, are not responsible for the contents or privacy practices of such sites. You should read their privacy policies before submitting any information to them.
Notification of Changes